Google recently launched the Play Services app on the Play Store to speed up and simplify the update procedures of its services on Android devices, and in this context comes the new February 2022 update. Now, the company has updated its support page to reflect the changes in Google Play services update, with the notable improvements being the ability to back up MMS messages and some wallet-related enhancements in Google Pay.
The Play Services brings new improvements in Google Pay. Possibility to check the available credit directly from the space reserved for specific cards. Ability to add cards to Google Pay from home banking apps for online payments. Improved descriptions of payment processes with Wear OS devices. Ability to view anti-COVID vaccination certificates directly in Pay.
The Google Play Services update of February corresponds to version 22.06 of the app and introduces a good number of new features. Let’s go and see them together:
Google Play Services February 2022 Update
- [Phone] Bug fixes for device connectivity, developer services, safety & emergency, system management & diagnostics and utilities related services.
- [Phone, Tablet] Updates a child’s settings experience on supervised Android devices (under ‘Settings > Google > Parental controls’) to include a read-only view of account settings and content restrictions for Google services such as Google Play, Search, Chrome and Assistant.
Google Play Store
- Improvements to Play-as-you-download feature to let gamers start playing mobile games while the app download continues to reduce waiting times.
- New Features to help you discover the Apps & Games you love.
- Optimizations allowing faster and more reliable download and installation.
- New features to the Play Pass and Play Points programs.
- Enhancements to Google Play Billing.
- Continuous improvements to Play Protect to keep your device safe.
- Various performance optimizations, bug fixes and improvements to security, stability and accessibility.
- [Phone] Users can have the ability to back up MMS messages on their devices.
- [Phone] Users can view the Google Pay balance on their card art.
- [Phone] Users can add cards from their mobile bank apps to to their wallet for in-store and online payments.
- [Phone, Wear OS] Users can view a step by step guide on how to pay contactless with your device.
- [Phone] Users can view digital COVID-19 certificates on recently unlocked device.
- Updates to system management services that improve device connectivity, network usage, stability, security and updatability.
- New developer features for Google and third party app developers to support ads, accessibility, analytics & diagnostics and machine learning & AI related processes in their apps.
The Play Services update is currently being automatically deployed, it may take a few days for it to arrive on your device as well.
You can check the Play system version installed on your Android phone by navigating to Settings > Security > Google Play system update. On Samsung phones, the option is located under Settings > Biometrics and security > Google Play system update.